Friday, March 26, 2010

Teaching With Picture Books

*Edited* I am now adding all links here to articles and lists about Teaching with Books in general, not just picutre books and not only history.

I am currently gathering lists and links of Picture Books relating to a historical point in time. We've begun this year by teaching history through picture books and I would like to continue on that path where possible. In fact I like to 'teach' as much as I can from books so I will continue to edit this post as I find lists.

This list of links is really just for me but I am sure someone will benefit from them. If you are aware of other History Picture Book Lists or just great lists of picture books relating to a particular topic, please let me know.

US History Through Picture Books

Picture This - this is a 29 page document with picture books broken down into subjects

A Book In Time - history suggestions

Australian Children's Books

All Australian, not only Picture Books

Australian History

Are So Happy's Favourite Picture Books


5 comments:

Pebblekeeper ~ Angie said...

Thanks! I bookmarked these, I love reading picture books to the kiddos in the afternoons, having a direction of the book is great! Oregon read Apples to Apples for our Oregon History, library wide last year, it was fun having everyone reading the same book. I look forward to browsing the lists. :)

Keith Schoch said...

Although I'm a public teacher, most of my relatives homeschooled, and I know they had great success with picture books.

Please check out my blog, Teach with Picture Books, for lots of terrific titles and related links and actvities.

Wendy said...

Hi Kylie!
I will try to get a list to you! I loved using books as the core of my teaching, too. It's an excellent method, I think. It becomes imperative to find excellent books, though, right? My friend, Bonnie, was and is a wonderful resource for me, and we have our own lists, and collections. So, I'll get back to you on this. I didn't start with picture books, though, so I'll ask Bonnie about that (she has a collection of over 20,000 books:)
Blessings,
Wendy

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I don't have any suggestions at the moment, but bookmarking this post for the future reference - thanks for sharing those great links. Very impressive art in the post below too!

MommyWise said...

Great links... I was literally just looking up picture books for history reading...!!!

Post a Comment

Make my day, leave a lovely comment :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Design by: Relevant Designs