Monday, March 8, 2010

The Home School Hop #5




Theme for the Week: What's Your Style?

Your education style I mean. Your philosphy for your home school environment.

I realise that the majority of home schoolers will always say they are eclectic (picking and choosing what works for them) but what method (or who) is your inspiration and why? Are you unschoolers, classical homeschoolers, are you inspired by montessori or waldorf, are you most comfortable with a more school at home approach, or do you dream of being in a totally different place than you are now with your whole approach? Whatever it is, it's time to share.

It has taken me some time to find out how I really felt about education and what it means to me to receive an education and for now I feel most inspired by the Montessori Method and principles.

I've never been comfortable with having my kids sit down and go through workbook after workbook but after nearly 12 months of basically natural learning I realised that that didn't work for us either.

We needed to find a middle ground and so far Montessori fits. I have the structure and the routine that I believe all children thrive on, however they have the freedom to pick and choose their work for the day (B currently has a small amount of book work that he must complete first). I need to ensure that I allow ample opportunities for learning but whether they take those opportunities is up to them. The beauty is that I can always come back and re-present things if there wasn't much interest the first time around.

We do have a few things that are 'must dos' but I have seen the evidence over and over again - if they genuinely aren't interested they very rarely learn anything anyway and we are just wasting everyone's time.

I could go on about Montessori, but I have already written a few posts about it and the fact that it is 'child led' but in a structured environment was the clincher for me.

What about you? What's Your Style?


STOP: Please DO NOT add your link below unless you have a post published about the blog hop and the current theme, and the McLinky code showing in that post. All links added that do not play fairly are removed.

Blog Hop Details: Find more details about the Blog Hop here.



MckLinky Blog Hop



15 comments:

Caz said...

Gah, mclinky is time traveling! It won't let me add myself for 5+hours yet lol. But I'll be on board then!

Kylie said...

Oh sorry Cari, I forget sometimes about the time difference....it should be ok now I hope!

Lori said...

I really don't know much about Montessori. Is is something that you still do at home or do your children also go to a Montessori school?

Supermommy said...

I think Montessori is the style we are doing. I had never heard of it before, so when I posted my blog hop post, I explained that I didn't have a style type.
Anyway, thanks for sharing and hosting!

Debbie said...

I looked into the Montessori Method, and I like its approach, but it just didn't fit in with my teaching style. It is one though that I would go with as I agree it is a great style!

Mommy Moment said...

Kylie, I linked up. I hope it is ok how I did it. Since I blog with another mommy I can not do a separate post. I only get 1 post a week on Montessori. Please check it out and if you are not happy with it (if it does not follow the rules close enough) then you can delete me.
Thanks for doing this blog hop. I love meeting all these wonderful new homeschooling friends!
Jody from Mommy Moment

Wendy said...

Hi Kylie!
This was a really fun theme! Thanks for hosting!
Blessings,
Wendy

Heidi said...

I've been meaning to ask you if you mind if we post up to an old post on this topic? I can add the blog hop box, but it seems silly to rewrite when I've already written it :)

Mama to 5 said...

Kylie - thank you so much for this weekly link up! It's a wonderful opportunity for us to get to know one another. I agree about Montessori - it's wonderful, i wish I started that approach sooner with my oldest. Have a great week! :)
Nicole

Kez said...

I like some of the aspects of Montessori and have used some of the ideas. Currently we're "eclectic with a natural learning bent" :)

Heidi said...

Hey I have another idea for you- Have you considered posting the topics in advance so we could plan ahead? It looks like you have had great participation!

Unknown said...

Thank you!! Great blog hop last week too!! I have heard of Montessori when I was researching styles...It does seem that we all do a little of everything, but put more emphasis on one particular learning style.

Gabriele said...

Great post!! I got mine linked up in time :D

Pebblekeeper ~ Angie said...

Hi There! I participated in the McLinky - but I put my .com instead of the actual blog entry. What should I do? - pebblekeeper.blogspot.com

Kylie said...

Pebblekeeper, you can add the link again if you like and once it is up I will delete the the other one.

Post a Comment

Make my day, leave a lovely comment :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Design by: Relevant Designs