Monday, October 25, 2010

Backyard Fun: Constructing a Cubby/Lean Too From Off Cuts

We recently had a very large dead tree cut down in our backyard. The majority of the timber is now at my parents home waiting for winter. I have a feeling they will not be in need of timber for their fireplace for quite a long while.

There was a substantial amount of bark and smaller branches left over, perfect for our own little bonfire, which I expect at some stage we will have. Probably once we hit Autumn again and the weather begins to cool down. (which is a fair while off)

In the meantime however the kids and their dad built this little masterpiece.

I really have no idea who came up with the idea and in fact I didn't even know it was happening until it was all finished. They were all happily in the backyard doing their thing, as they very often do on a Saturday afternoon (thoughtfully giving this mummy a few hours break ~ Thank You) and this is the end result of their time together.


DH made up a little frame and found something in the shed suitable for a door, he attached the frame to the shed wall and as you can see they have built a significant structure from what was laying around.


Whilst it isn't overly roomy inside they love it and will quite often retreat up there, take a blanket and some food and just hang out.


Getting in and out isn't the simplest of activities for the larger member of the crew but none of them are bothered by that at all.

The kids learnt a great deal about construction and design without even knowing it on this little project and considering that I personally have seen people living in less than this it has made them think about how blessed they really are to have a large beautiful home and sprawling backyard.




Vote for us. One click is all you need!


6 comments:

Kez said...

How cool is that!!

Unknown said...

What a great way to use our natural resources!

Amanda said...

Oh WOW! That is awsome. Ansley would love something like that. When we lived in PA, she and I would spend hours building lean to stick forts, and she would spend many more hours playing in them. Now we live on an island in the middle of the Bering Sea and there are no trees on the island, so sticks are limited to the driftwood we can find washed up. She misses them. Seeing this made me smile at the memories :)

-Amanda
www.adventuresinansleyland.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

It looks like a hobbits home. DH and kids are so clever. I love the door.

Elise said...

Who needs toys when you have branches like this screaming out to be played with!

What fun times must have been had and lasting memories made while making this cubby.

My hubby also gives me a window of time on the weekend where I am children free for a little while - this is when I usually laminate and/or put together some activities for us to do during the week.

Ticia said...

I used to make much smaller ones back when I was a kid and my Dad had trimmed the tree.

Post a Comment

Make my day, leave a lovely comment :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Design by: Relevant Designs