Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Homemade Games: Number Rods Dice Game

C and I have been building mazes from our Red Rods (they are number rods, we don't have red rods so they are doubling up on their purpose), he loves them.

Many days of the week there is a maze somewhere on the floor. For some reason on this particular day the kids decided to make it a game board. Obviously not its' intended purpose but they were not misusing the pieces and I was more than happy to see them using the materials for more than just what they are intended for.


They used their dice and small animals as counters. Each red/blue section was one space on the game board. First to the centre was the winner. If you landed on someone else they had to move back one space. I think I heard a few other rules being thrown around but that was the general gist of it.

Later they came back and added the Pink Tower to the game. I obviously didn't get any photo's of that at all and too be honest I can't really remember how they incorporated it either.

Simple and fun is often the best. :)

I am linking up to Childhood's 101 We Play Linky for the first time.

9 comments:

The Seed That Grew said...

Children never cease to amaze me with their open imaginations. Often finding small, lifeless objects and turning them into something way more wonderful. We can all learn from this. Beautiful x

Unknown said...

I love this! Your children were being very clever. Thank you for sharing this.

amandab said...

I love the way the are re-purposing the rods, and coming up with a game in using them is fantastic. So many different kinds of learning going on here that they would have been completely unaware of! But, they were aware of the fun which is just awesome :)

Thanks for stopping by :)

Ticia said...

Hmph, my computer is unhappy about something and may not let me comment. So, here goes again. How cool they came up with this on their own.

Gill@OurParklife said...

What a fun game! I love when kids find a different activity for a toy or object. Thanks for sharing with us

joyce:waddleeahchaa.com said...

I totally agree,SIMPLE is best. There is so much learning going on here and all you needed was these colored rods, dice and small figures. I do pre-school workshops and one of the points I am constantly bringing up is keep it simple and low maintenance, not to mention let the kids do it. This activity incorporates all of these points. Also there is practically no clean up! Thanks a million for the post. I will be sharing this activity. :)

Kylie G said...

Hi, this is my first visit here. You're right, simple and fun is often best! Sometimes we forget that.

Catherine said...

Sometimes kids make up the best games don't they.

Anonymous said...

I love how you just sat back and let them go with what they were doing. Looks like fun.

Post a Comment

Make my day, leave a lovely comment :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Blog Design by: Relevant Designs